Thursday, July 1, 2010

D-Day Minus One

By tomorrow afternoon, we should be welcoming little Colin Frank and Veronica Margaret into the “outside” world. Yesterday we did one last BPP (biophysical profile) on the babies, and they both passed with full marks — meaning they remain as healthy as possible based on their circumstances.

I also got another steroid shot yesterday (to help speed up lung development). We go back to the hospital this afternoon for the second steroid shot, and will be admitted to the hospital after that. The doctors also want to put me on magnesium sulfate for 12 hours before delivery (a horrible experience, from what everyone I know who has been on it tells me) because several studies have shown that it helps minimize the risk for neurological problems in very premature babies.

Now that we’re one day away from delivery, I’m trying hard not to think too much about what that means. Instead,
I’m trying to be excited about actually meeting our little ones. Then we’re bracing ourselves for the next section of this crazy rollercoaster ride.

With luck, we may even be able to hold or touch them before they’re whisked off to the NICU
(which I realize is unlikely to happen). And if not before, then after they’re settled in and I’m allowed to travel down the hall to visit.

We’ll try to get an update posted after things are stabilized tomorrow, and eventually, we may even manage to get some photos up. But I won’t making any big promises about how quickly that will happen.

5 comments:

  1. Becki, John and Ethan, I just want you to know that you and the babies are in our thoughts. We all appreciate hearing about your progress. I am looking forward to seeing you and the little ones later this summer.

    All my best,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Becki and John! I'm also thinking about you, the babies and Ethan. I'm keeping you all in my prayers. No matter what GOD is always with you!!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always - my thoughts and prayers are also with you all!! How exciting, today you get to meet your twins and Ethan will get to be a big brother to them in the "outside world"!!

    As concerning as this early delivery is - God does know what He is doing, He is placing those precious new babies with the best parents for them!!

    I will anxiously awaiting John's call.

    Love and prayers to all of you!!

    Auntie Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becki, John and Ethan,

    Our prayers are with you and the twins. God has great plans and He is in control. I can't wait to meet them. We will be thinking of you!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becki, John, and Ethan,

    We are thinking about you all--including Colin and Veronica. We pray all is going well. Take care.

    Cyndi and all the boys

    ReplyDelete