Tuesday, July 26, 2011

8 1/2

No, I’m not branching out into film discussions here — I don’t have time to watch anything so the discussion would be short and boring. (Have you seen Over the Hedge? Yes, at least 62 times. My favorite part is … )

Actually, that’s Colin’s latest achievement: He made it 8 1/2 minutes sitting unsupported yesterday afternoon. Ironically, this comes just one day after I told John I was beginning to despair that Colin would never sit on his own. Apparently he heard me.

Unfortunately, Colin’s development in physical things doesn’t follow a normal course of steady improvement. He seems to toy with the idea of acquiring a new skill, flirt with it for a while (a long while some times), then make up his mind that it’s worth the effort and do it. So yesterday’s monster sitting session has been followed by an inability/unwillingness to sit for any length of time at all.

But he did manage one major accomplishment: he restored my hope.

It’s hard with Colin (and I suspect with all preemies, although I feel it less with Veronica). Intellectually, I know it’s harder for him to learn things, and that he is making progress according to his own route and on his own schedule. I acknowledge with the rational part of my brain that he is doing so much better than we feared. Really and truly, he is such a happy, fun baby that even if he never is able to walk (or even sit on his own) that he will find joy in life and be happy (and I will be too). 

But the emotional part of my still sometimes wins the battle and I worry that the babies (Colin in particular) are behind. And I worry that they may not be able to catch up, or do everything that other kids do. (But really, self, no kid does everything other kids do.) Fortunately, this part of my brain doesn’t get the upper hand too often. And when it does, something happens to remind me that I really am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment