Tuesday, August 31, 2010

It’s official

Veronica is coming home on Thursday — 62 days after she was born, two and a half weeks before her due date, and on her 2 month birthday. She’ll be on an apnea monitor (to track her breathing and heart rate) for a month, and will be back on the caffeine for two months (lucky girl). Tomorrow we will learn how to use the monitor and get a refresher on infant CPR, then we’ll have our discharge conference on Thursday. 

I’m working on my list of questions today, so I can leave it with the doctor ahead of time to make sure we get everything answered. Of course, with Colin still in the hospital it’s going to be quite easy to ask questions if we have any down the road. But I would prefer to get as much worked out up front as possible. 

I must admit, the thought of bringing Veronica home seems somewhat surreal. When I try to picture myself with a baby (outside the nursery at the hospital), nothing comes to mind. We’ve been in this limbo for so long that it just seems normal. I suspect that I’ll still need some time to get used to the idea that we really do have a baby (well, two actually) even after she’s home. But I am looking forward to getting on with that adjustment.

I am a little sad that we’re separating Colin and Veronica again, after finally getting them back together again. But with luck, Colin will be joining us here before too long as well (fingers crossed).

I will try to continue making the regular posts as we adjust to our next new “normal” this week. But if I miss a few days, it probably just means I’m too tired to remember how to type, not that anything is going wrong.

3 comments:

  1. This is super exciting news! YEAH!!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for all of you - one step closer to the family all being together!

    I can only imagine the adjustments, but one at a time may not be all that bad, including for Colin, as you said before he will get some continual one on one time and that will be good for him as well.

    I am SO HAPPY for all of you! Congratulations again!!

    XOXOXO love, aunt Rita

    ReplyDelete