Thursday, August 15, 2013

Playing Catchup

Once again, it has been a month since I last updated the blog. This summer has been jam-packed with activity, leaving me with no excess energy for things like the blog. We have a little over a week before school starts again for Ethan, at which point I really hope life settles down a tiny bit. 

We have enrolled Colin and Veronica in preschool (Kiddie Kollege) at the Y one morning a week for the first semester. We thought it was better to ease them into the structure of school (and the much-later nap) by starting with just the one day. It’s also much more expensive to do anything when you have to do it times two. I’m starting to shudder at the thought of college. 

Colin had his three-year-old doctor appointment last month, and I have twice located and lost the slip of paper on which I wrote down his height and length, so I’ll have to do a side-by-side of the twins after I find it again. He continues to grow at his own pace, but is not “gaining” on Veronica at all. It’t hard to know if he’ll always be my little peanut (I’d say probably), or if he’ll get a big growth spurt at some point and shoot up. It doesn’t really matter to me (although it may to him, come junior high), but I do wonder about it from time to time. 

The potty training is going mostly smooth. Colin probably could get rid of the pull-up at night, except that he only lets us know about half the time when he needs to poop. So for now, we’re keeping him in it. Veronica does great during the day, but has only stayed dry overnight once or twice. And I’m perfectly happy with that for now. 

Colin and Veronica generally play very well together now. Their imaginations are soaring, and it’s fun to hear the scenarios they create. The other morning they decided our staircase was an escalator. But since it wasn’t moving, it must be broken. So after breakfast, they spend some time fixing it. Unfortunately, when Ethan tried to use the stairs to go up to his room, it caused quite an uproar. 

It’s fun to watch their personalities blossom, but somewhat exhausting too. We’re still in the throws of what people refer to as “the terrible twos.” In our family, that tantrum-filled, I-want-it-my-way stage seems to land more in the threes. Veronica, in particular, is a very strong-willed, stubborn little girl. (Colin just conveniently goes deaf when he doesn’t want to hear what you’re saying — and having to repeat everything 20 times a day gets old very quickly.) 

Colin’s tantrums tend to blow up and pass quickly. Veronica can go on forever. The girl has good stamina. That will no doubt serve her well in the future. But it may kill me in the present. 

No comments:

Post a Comment