Thursday, November 7, 2013

Just like big brother

Colin and Veronica are very enthralled by their big brother — even if they seem to spend the bulk of their time yelling at him and telling him to go away. Several things they’ve done recently reinforce that. 

We limit Ethan’s screen time to an hour or less a day, and he can only take it in half hour intervals. (We’ve found that allowing him to play games for an uninterrupted hour is not a good thing.) So he’s always asking if he can use his screen time, and requesting that we start timing him. 

A while ago, we picked up a Barbie “computer” for the twins at a garage sale. It’s one of those things that looks like a laptop, but comes pre-programmed with all sorts of basic educational games. The games are still generally too advanced for the twins, but they like playing around with it and pushing the buttons. 

Over the weekend, Veronica came up to me with their laptop in her hands, and said in a very serious voice, “Mommy, can I take my screen time now?” I had a hard time keeping a straight face when I told her she could — it was too cute. (Even cuter was her and Colin laying on their bellies trying to play the games together. “No, try pushing that button.” “Good job.”)

Then tonight, Colin had his “big brother” moment. Ethan’s other passion right now is the Yu-Gi-Oh cards. He collects, he plays, he sorts, he trades, he spends all his money on buying more. It’s really an obsession right now. (And where he got his head for strategy, I’ll never know.)

So tonight, before bed, I saw Colin gathering up four or five Matchbox cars and carefully wedging them together in a stack in his hand. He brought them over to the bed, where I was getting ready to read to them. “These are my cars Mommy.” 

“Your cars?”

“No. My cars!” (Colin still struggles a bit with his enunciation and when I’m tired, especially, I have a hard time understanding him.)

Finally I realized what he was saying. “Oh, they’re your cards. Like Ethan’s cards.”

“Yes!” And with a big grin, he proceeded to tell me about each “card,” just like Ethan does. 

They’re so fun sometimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment