Thursday, February 28, 2013

All about Veronica

Veronica has enough personality to rule the world — and with it comes a long memory, a vivid imagination, a bucket full of empathy and a stubbornness that rivals my own. Oh my, we’re in trouble.

Veronica is very much a nurturer. She loves her babies, and she loves to Mommy Colin (and the rest of us) too. She and I were outside running recently (something I haven’t been able to do because I dislocated my femur a while back, and it’s taken a while to completely heal). Suddenly, mid-stride, she looked at me and said, “Mommy! You’re running. Your hip feels better?”

Several weeks ago, Veronica came up to Ethan and I and announced that she had “babies in her tummy.” “Babies?” I inquired. “How many babies?” “Three,” she promptly announced. Not long after that, Veronica started talking about her triplets: Aba, Iba and Una, who apparently sprang forth very far ahead of the curve developmentally. 

Aba, Iba and Una all play soccer (both indoor and outdoor). They also swim, and Una does yoga. They seem to spend a lot of time in school and, of course, already are potty trained. It’s very funny to hear Veronica sigh and say, “My kids …” and then tell us something they’ve done recently. Una appears to be her favorite, and is the most athletic. I hear more stories about Una than the other two. 

Most evenings, after dinner, Veronica gets dressed and goes to pick her kids up from school.
Veronica, ready to go pick her kids up from school.
Their school is somewhere along Irving Park Road.

She is becoming more of a fashionista every day, and has very definite ideas of what she wants to wear, always. I took her to Carters recently to buy her a couple of new dresses, since most of her favorites are getting rather small. Everything I picked out was studied and met with an “umm, no” until she spotted the dress she’s wearing in the picture above. She also selected a “Mommy’s little girl” t-shirt, because (she told me) that’s what she is. 

This is what I got when I asked if I could take
a picture of Veronica. Perfect pose. 

She also is very independent, and wants to do as much as
possible by herself. That is what makes her new rain boots
especially wonderful. Easy on and off. 
Despite being a dedicated follower of fashion, Veronica is easily the most naturally athletic of the kids, and continues to ask me when she can start playing soccer and taking yoga. She loves the Athleta clothing company catalog (her poses magazine), and can mimic nearly all of the yoga poses the models are doing without help. 

And finally, the stubbornness. Although many people have expressed their disbelief when I say that Veronica has a wicked temper, it is true. When she is unhappy, she gets very, very mad. 

Veronica responding to being put into time out.
And on an unrelated side note: We’re nearly through our month of dairy-free eating with Colin. We’ve really only had a couple of “I want cheese/the other yogurt” meltdowns, so in that respect it hasn’t been too bad. But I’m not sure dairy is the culprit behind Colin’s longer-term digestive problems. He is back to his old self, but that old self still has eczema, sometimes has very painful gas bubbles in his tummy and can easily get constipated. He also still is not really growing. 

So, we are not expecting to have problems when we reintroduce dairy, but we also may need to continue to explore whether some other intolerance is causing Colin problems. Of course, that just could be how his system operates. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment