Friday, April 8, 2011

Really, I'd never guess

The twins had their 9 month checkup on Tuesday, and we had a substitute doctor because ours was on vacation (much overdue, I suspect). Both babies are growing well — Veronica is up to 17 pounds 1 ounce and is 27 3/4 inches long. Colin is now 12 pounds 7 ounces and 25 1/4 inches long. 

The doctor was plotting Veronica’s weight/height on the growth chart and told us: “Veronica is in the 25th percentile for weight, and the 50th for height.” So John asked whether that was based on her actual or adjusted age. 

The doctor looked up and said, “Were they preemies?” To which we responded that they had been born at 28 weeks. 

She looked at them again and said, “Wow, I never would have guessed.” That’s the best compliment I could imagine for my babies. 

Colin is at about the 4th percentile for weight (based on his adjusted age) and the 25th percentile for height (again, adjusted). This is a big gain for Colin, who wasn’t even on the chart until last month. 

Veronica continues to roll over in her sleep and then proceed to freak out when she wakes up on her tummy. She does better with it at nap time, but at night it is becoming a real problem. I’ve been having her in bed with me, because she doesn’t roll over there (because she hits me before she makes it all the way over). 

While I don’t want to get her into the habit of needing to be held to sleep, I am too tired right now to deal with the constant reassuring and turning necessary to get her to sleep in the crib. We’ll deal with that after vacation. 

Colin is 98% of the way toward rolling completely over, and has figured out how to scoot his way across the floor to where he wants to go. I am afraid that as soon as he figures out that rolling is quicker, we’re going to be in trouble. (We still haven’t gotten around to baby proofing yet.)

We’re all recovering from our spring colds. Veronica’s nose is no longer running non stop, and Colin is breathing better (although still faster than normal) again and only needed a handful of nebulizer treatments this time. Ethan and I are pretty much over it, and John only flirted with getting sick. I'm hoping we’ll be in the clear for a while now.

No comments:

Post a Comment